Finally! After nine years -gag me with a spoon: cannot believe I’ve been in VA that long- I made it out to Great Falls Park for a hike/scramble/walk. I’ve had people telling me it was beautiful, awesome, magnificent, etc. I’m so glad they weren’t full of crap!
I won’t make this a long post since the photos pretty much speak for themselves, but I will add the following:
1. The Greekanese accompanied me on this particular journey.
2. I wholeheartedly believe in arriving to a hiking destination before 10:30am because all the “day walkers” and “families” tend to arrive around 11am or mid-afternoon. I like avoiding them.
3. We did just shy of 8 miles today. Part of that may or may not have been contributed to my, “Oh, look!” or “Stop! Turn here!” or “Left/Right!”. These are sometimes referred to as my “squirreliness” or “shiney” moments.
4. We technically did two parks, though only .25miles of River Bend Park (just past the dam)
5. It was muddy as all get out! Honestly had a few moments in which I skated on mud and thought, “Ah hell, I’m going to land on my ass and The Greekanese is going to exploit that opportunity with candid photographs”. I’m glad to say, that moment didn’t happen – though not for a lack of Mother Nature trying.
6. I will never underestimate the power of having zip off pants again.
7. I think I’m finally beginning to get a hang of my new camera – hallelujah!
Enjoy the photos and let me know what you think – I’ve sorted them by object below:
Trees and Water:
Weird Animal-like Trees, Animals, and Locks (River – not pad):